Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Today's Deep Thought

Fuck writer's block.

I've got three entries backed up on draft, and each one is garbage. Stillborn thoughts, each bound for the medical waste dumpster.

I've always viewed the creative process as one of birth: The idea is conceived, it gestates, and then when the time is right, it is given form and pushed, sometimes with excruciating effort and pain, out into the world, into the harsh daylight of the page. None, and I mean none, can rush this process. Proof that the writer does not own the words, but rather is owned by them. Indeed, like any man, enslaved to them, like any other biological function. And when no words will come, the feeling is painful, ectopic. Only the page will provide release. Only the pen will determine if the ensuing idea is born, or simply hemmorrhages and kills or cripples the author.

I say it again.

FUCK writer's block.

5 Comments:

Blogger Jim said...

I see you making use of that male/female thing, all in one, lots gets born that way, lol.

you're right too, that block can be like that. time takes care of it, no anxiety.

3:07 PM  
Blogger K. Eason said...

Ain't no such thing. No, really. Ain't no such thing as writer's block. There is, however, writer's detour. This is why some short stories languish for years before they see their last 2500 words. And some essays, too, rest in limbo on various disks and wait for the proper time.

But there are always more words.

Proof that the writer does not own the words, but rather is owned by them.

(Make note: complete and utter disagreement! I think that's a first. Heh.)

I am not owned by words, or channeled by them, or anything that romantic. Writing is my craft. The words come from me. They are mine. The shape I give them might be crap on a given day, or they might be good. But the shape is my doing. The sequence--is my doing. And it's discipline that makes them happen when I really don't feel the spark. Inspiration is great, but it ain't a requirement.

6:33 PM  
Blogger FreedomGirl said...

Dude. Its a blog. Get over it. We hold no expectations. Words will come. We don't care if they are pretty or well thought out. I'll say it again...

Dude. Its a blog.
;)

9:09 PM  
Blogger Miss Myra said...

When I see a blank sheet of paper, it calls my name. I hear it whisper to me, "I have the answer".
Even though at that point it is still blank. I grab it, grab a pen and my hand starts writing things I was not thinking about that day.
And when it is finished, (somehow I know when it is finished), I feel better, more complete. Like another piece to the puzzle has been found.

2:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yep. 100% yep. I've found scribbling utter nonsense helps ease the pressure. Like a fart, perhaps, hours before a good solid dump.

5:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home