Friday, February 23, 2007

Whispers

Oz comes in from work with the usual fanfare--a grunt and the muffled thud of body armor. Brooks is passed out in his bed, and I'm sitting at my laptop, watching "Carnivale." We just came in from a mission the day before, so we're busy enjoying a little comp time.

"You're going to Recon," says Oz. It's a simple statement, unadorned, but it's weight causes me to start from my chair.

"What?"

"You're going to Recon," Oz repeats, "When SFC Jameson takes over."

"How'd you hear this?" I start to stand up, hoping for more information.

Oz grabs his reflector belt and patrol cap, turning for the door. "Don't go spreading it around."

"Oz, hold up. Oz!" I move to follow, but it's too late. He's already disappeared into the night.

Our company is made up of several platoon elements: Headquarters, Maintenance, Support, and then the primary Line Platoons, 1st and 2nd. I've been a part of 1st since I came to this company, and while it's worked out okay, I can't say I particularly enjoy it. It's boring work, what I do, and I can't even describe how much time I've longed for something a little more challenging.

Support is where Oz went several months back. His platoon is comprised of three sections: DFAC (cooks), Heavy Equipment (Dozers and Cranes), and finally Reconnaissance, which is where Oz was assigned. Recon is unique, in that it contains soldiers from the primary MOS of our unit, only shifted into an intelligence-gathering and security role. It's a small squad, but the cohesion is good, and the slots for Recon are hard to come by. If I had to pick anywhere to go, I'd go there. So needless to say, hearing whispers of such a thing make hairs on my neck prickle. I've wanted off the Line for months. Still, Oz is right--it IS just a rumor--but that being said, I know Oz, and Oz is pretty good at keeping his ear to the operational ground. If it's coming from Oz, something tells me I should trust it.

Who knows, though.

4 Comments:

Blogger K. Eason said...

Oooh. Recon. Congrats, if that rumor proves to be true.

And Carnivale kicks ass.

6:20 PM  
Blogger Seven of Six said...

"Recon" is a good thing?

Stay safe dude! Keep the head down, and chin up!

How many days before the R & R?

6:55 PM  
Blogger essa said...

Glad to see you are still blogging. And, hopefully, you are still just as careful.

8:16 PM  
Blogger iamcoyote said...

Gosh, I second Seven of Six's question. Sounds interesting, but more dangerous. But we'll see, we know how rumors are in the military, don't we? If you aren't able to post before your R&R - have a great time, kiddo!

9:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home