Friday, March 16, 2007

...The Ground Running

And I'm back. Two weeks of leave in Germany behind me. I apologize for the lack of updates, but honestly, I needed the time to focus on the wife.

Leave was wonderful. I hiked the Alps, dined in a mountainside Bavarian bistro, tooled around Frankfurt with my honey, caught up with friends, and just generally seized the opportunity to just "civ out." I want to write more about my time back home, but to be honest there's just so much that I'm afraid the posts will have to come in sporadic flashbacks. So many moments, and I refuse to forget a single one.

Just finished Mark Z. Danielewski's "Only Revolutions." Like his other novel, "House of Leaves," it's definitely avant-garde lit of the most mindbending variety, but for all the Mars Volta-esque mutations in structure, "Revolutions" is as brash and poignant as "House" was deeply disturbing. Well worth the read.

Checked in this morning, just after midnight. It's official: I am now the property of Reconnaissance Section, Support Platoon. "Hey, don't feel sorry for me," as I told my friend Aldrich this afternoon. "I've been wanting off of the Line for months." I'm back again in the same platoon as Oz, which will be fun. A whole new cast of characters waits for me there, including a few very close friends, to include the oft-mentioned but undeveloped Ramos, so all in all, I'm happy about the switch. Only downside? I have to go away for a few days as a result, sometime early next week. Fear not, though, I'm in good hands. I promise to have some rich posting material upon my return.

Anyway, this is just a brief blurb. I know, not the most literary of my entries. I promise to redeem myself, though, gentle readers, so all I ask is that you hold on tight for a few days, and then I shall reward your patience.

Peace in the Middle East (however unlikely).

3 Comments:

Blogger K. Eason said...

Glad to "see" you again, but even happier you didn't update while on leave. Much better things to do with your hands and attention than update a blog. :)

Congrats on Recon, too. Sounds like it's gonna be good for you.

Re: Danielewski. Read House and appreciated the way in which it stretched both medium and narrative to the breaking point, although I cannot say I particularly liked the novel (but like is overrated, imho, when it comes to literature. Like is for flavors of ice cream). Will have to check out Revolutions on your rec.

11:11 PM  
Blogger fjb said...

So glad you had a wonderful leave, and were able to "civ out", as you call it. Congrats on Recon. I remember a while back you mentioned that you wanted the transfer. Take care (that goes for Oz, too).

Peace,
Fiona

4:21 PM  
Blogger iamcoyote said...

Take your time, Milo, post when you can. Even in the best of circumstances, some days there's no time, or not much to say. Congrats on the new job, can't wait to hear about it.

As always, keep your head down and your eyes peeled!

4:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home