Wednesday, August 29, 2007

A Few Honest Questions

Senator Carl Levin
269 Russell Office Building
U.S. SenateWashington,
DC 20510-2202


Dear Sir,

My name is Milo Freeman. I am a Michigan native and longtime supporter of your work in the U.S. Senate. I am also an enlisted U.S. soldier, writing under an assumed name and serving an active-duty tour in Iraq.

I am writing today with two concerns regarding your positions on national security as head of the Senate Armed Services Committee. The first pertains to your recent trip to Iraq; the other regards the current state of relations with nearby Iran.

Firstly: In one of your recent newsletters, you informed your constituents of progress being made on the ground here in Iraq. You advised, so far as I could tell, a course of action which primarily involved ousting current Iraqi PM Nouri al-Maliki. You also included a blurb recommending a drawdown of troops in the near future, but as to the nature or timeline of that drawdown you gave no further indication.

I am concerned about these statements. I have normally been a staunch supporter of your work in the Senate, and am proud to call you my representative in that legislative body. However, I must raise issue with what I see as being an overly vague reccomendation for pullout that, in addition to seeming toothless, also plays directly into the intentions of GOP interest groups on Capitol Hill.

I am given to understand that lobbying groups associated with the President are currently undertaking a press campaign to malign Maliki, in an effort to secure the position for former PM Iyad Allawi. Allawi, as you are no doubt aware, is half of the reason why we are still here. Why is talk still being made of Maliki's ouster, when the simple fact is that a cessation of military activities in this theater is what needs (and indeed, what the American people DEMANDS) be undertaken?

For all the talk of wanting to refocus our energies in the "War on Terrorism," (a suspiciously Reaganesque phrase, don't you agree?), I am disappointed to see such weak effort being put forth by the newly-Democratic Legislature. I understand that with the lack of votes necessary to sustain a quorum, crafting progressive policy can be a difficult exercise. That being said, I fear that if more firm action is not taken regarding Iraq in the near future, the situation for my fellow troops on the ground will only continue to deteriorate. I can personally attest that our supplies are lacking, our morale is low, and our family lives are crumbling in the prosecution of this (frankly illegal) venture.

This leads into my second concern. Why, after nearly five years of a bungled war in Iraq, do I now begin to read reports in the News of the White House planning for a first-strike attack on Iran? Why do I now hear saber-rattling from the White House press secretary, not to mention the President himself, seemingly welcoming a war which would not only be foolhardy in the present environment, but would needlessly endanger countless lives, to include my own.
Mr. Levin, I am proud to call you my Senator. I regard your work and positions, for the most part, very highly. However, I am concerned, after the weak performance the Senate gave on the FISA sunset extension/expansion, that your peers may be unable to effectively combat the President's machinations, or for that matter mount an effective resistance to a war-in-the-making.

Sir, I am twenty-four years old. I have a wife. I haven't even had a child yet. I am willing to risk my life for my country, but I cannot accept my leaders wasting it on folly.
On behalf of my friends, my fellow soldiers, my spouse, and of all the family members waiting back home for their loved ones; I ask you:

Do not allow my training, and possibly my life, to be risked on such a fruitless venture.

Sincerely,

Milo Freeman, SPC, USA

7 Comments:

Blogger Seven of Six said...

Outstanding soldier!

Milo, Keep your head down, chin up. Drive on!

3:52 PM  
Blogger Lurch said...

Milo - excellent indeed. Lemme hold your blouse next time you want to slap one of them around, OK?

8:52 PM  
Blogger iamcoyote said...

Great work, Milo, and great questions. I have to wonder: why is Levin helping with the "replace Maliki" meme anyhow? It's clearly kabuki, so why enable Bush's failure further?

5:26 PM  
Blogger Paula D. said...

Excellent post!

11:01 PM  
Blogger Robert Rouse said...

We need more soldiers like you, Milo. Men who want to represent the real values of our country and not the evil empire Bu$hCo is turning our once respected nation into.

Keep up the good work and stay safe!

5:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It is doubly sad for me, as well. I entered service in 1965 and was discharged in 1969. I worked my way up from the engine room to the ships public relations department. We used to say, "We make War, FUN!". It was a crock, but the duty was much easier than being in the hole.

I soon realized I sold my soul for an air conditioner. At the time, it seemed like a bargain. I never worked in media again. It was a talent, communications, but it messed my mind. I found myself telling stories that were designed to build 'morale' and not relate facts to the public.

That grated against my very essence. Rationally, if we were not there to spread truth, freedom, and a democratic way of life, what were we doing? The rational conclusion horrified my entire consciousness.

Now, stop me if this is all starting to sound familiar. Any reasoning person of conscience is going to rebel against the fraudulent carnage which surrounds you daily.

Which bring us back to you. You are not alone. We, of one or two generations, one or two wars, ago, are your comrades. You are right in your doubts. Your suspicions are confirmed. We are hurting a nation which never could bring us harm. We are prolonging an agony which has murdered a million human beings. We are entering the arena of the grandest mass murders in history. And there is no end in sight.

Eventually, the truth will be told. You are not responsible for this mess. You are not the decider. You did not start this fraudulent war. You enlisted with (I assume) the most honorable intentions, and the best of motives. What is happening to you has happened before.

One of the most profound and pervasive reactions of Viet Vets was the feeling of rape. The victimization of our very souls. The sacrifice of our bodies, our very lives, to satisfy a tragically flawed policy by a corrupt administration.

The VA tried to say we couldn't feel what we felt, that we had to be victims of incest and abuse to have these feelings inside us.

But there are too many. The feelings span both wars and generations. Good men of sound mind and wholesome conscience will inevitably reject this profiteering carnage.

What remains; For you, life. You have a wife. You are a family. You deserve to live. Do so. Don't take any chances. Don't take any risks. DO NOT VOLUNTEER FOR ANYTHING.

I just try to remember that I had as much to say about the Nam as an ant on the freeway has to say about speed limits. Sure it matters, but nobody cares, and you just don't have any say about what happens.

7:55 PM  
Blogger Milo said...

Richard,

I don't know what you are, but you have my sincerest thanks. These words mean more to me than you can know. I hope to hear from you again.

Milo

5:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home