Thursday, September 28, 2006

Songs for Farewells

The moment is finally upon me. A day I never thought would come, and whose arrival I have dreaded for years. My feet are heavy, as is my spirit. I go to support my friends, and to grow in my own experiences, but the fear never truly goes away.

I console myself with reminders of my training, and with the distant promise of seeing my wife again. Still, the boots suddenly look heavier than I remembered. My nerves tremble at the prospect of donning them, for I know that when I do, they shall become the only footwear I know for a long time. For the time being, my identity, my true face--that of Milo Freeman--becomes hidden behind the mask of Army greys and combat gear.

I only hope that I recognize myself when I come out on the other side.

From the film version of J.R.R. Tolkien's "The Return Of The King:"

Home is behind, the world ahead
And there are many paths to tread.
Through shadow, to the edge of night,
Until the stars are all alight.
Mist and shadow, cloud and shade,
All shall fade.
All shall fade.


I hope to whatever gods are out there that the last line is wrong.

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You'll write the best blog coming outta the sandbox...

"in the darkest depths of Mordor,
I met a girl so fair.
But Gollum, and the evil one crept up and slipped away with her, her, her....yeah"

Sorry, that one probably doesn't fit ;)

Stay frosty, man.

2:05 PM  
Blogger ... said...

All shall fade.
All shall fade.


That's from my absolute favorite scene in that film.

Keep you head down, your eyes open, and write, write, write. It's the best way to release the terror of war...at least it was for Tolkien, on of the few survivers of the Battle of the Bulge.

Please. Stay safe. Best of luck to you.

3:26 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

God Bless You. I hope to hear from you upon your return. Please allow your Guardian Angel to stay on your shoulder and keep you in sight. It has been a pleasure reading your blog

5:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Milo, It sounds like you have a strong crew. Stay tight and watch each other's backs.

Remember your goals of wisdom and compassion. Hope, but don't expect, that you will receive wisdom and compassion in return.

Remember that whether we are for the war or against the war we are ALWAYS for our troops.

Keep blogging. Come home safely

7:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That sound you may have heard as you got on the bus was my heart breaking. I didn't expect to feel so empty, so fast.

The last hug just never seems long enough. Especially if it has to last a year.

From this point forward, every day has to be "better than yesterday." Every day is one day closer to you.

3:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Milo
you are a magical man with a strong heart and much wisdom and vision. you have all that you need and all the love ... can you feel the love...I mean really feel it?
Remember the feeling of love...it is what is under and above every moment and what keeps the world spinning...it is why we are here..

And I think this is all horrendous and unjust and I really like your wife...and I wish this wasn't happening...and under all these emotions I can still feel the love...

Keep writing and we will keep you in our hearts...

Plus I think you are coming home sooner than you think ;-)

6:02 AM  
Blogger Jenny said...

Stay safe. Come home.

6:26 AM  
Blogger essa said...

Good luck, Milo, and be safe. I hope you are still able to blog from time to time.

1:11 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have been reading your past posts and find them of a high calibre (no pun intended - ha).

Seriously, you are gifted. You have the ability to touch people deeply and are much needed in this screwed up world we inhabit. I hope you will have time to continue sharing your acute observations and feelings with us.

Take care, Warrior. We are all with you. We need for you to come home safely.

6:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home